18 helmikuuta 2014

FBG47 Rev. 1.2 - AC-CDI Unit for Honda CX500

Okay, finally I got time to concentrate to my replacement ac-cdi unit aka FinnBoxG47 (shortly FBG47) which I made for my old Honda CX500. I thought could I make it better and started to re-designing the electric board. There are a few points which can be made better, I think. Last summer everything worked just fine but you need to do something on these long winter nights here in Finland. And sure, if I can improve even a little bit the present unit, why not?

It's not a secret that the analog cdi unit of CX500 is not in principle very complicated. There is just a few points in the schematic which need to be understood correctly. At the wiki-pages of cx500 forum is shown a few schematics which are almost correct.
All begins from the used thyristors. At 25C and 100C thyristors gates have a little bit different the lowest trigger voltage which is enough to open the current flow from anode to cathode. In BT151-800R case, for example, the normalized voltages are about 1V (25C) and 0.7V (100C). The difference is not much but in the present circuit enough to change the ignition advance curve at different temperatures. To design the back effect for that phenomenon requires usage of NTC thermistors at pull down resistances of the gates. Also the advance lines resistances need to be matched with the pull downs. In analog cdi unit the pick-ups and advance pulsers produce analog signals, ie. the signals heights are dependent on the speed of the engine. More revs, higher the signal heights. In CX500 case the idling is at 1100 rpm and the advance start to change at about 2000 rpm. The max. advance is at 5500...6000 rpm. The slope of advance curve can be easily changed by changing the resistor values of the advance lines. But the original Honda kind of slope is good to maintain. To summarize all this is as follows:

* Calculate the needed pull down resistances based on the used thyristors' trigger voltages at 25C/100C.
* Match the resistance by using suitable thermistors (B?) in parallel and in series (R9 and R10) with 1% resistors.
* Calculate/test the suitable resistors for the advance lines (R2, R3, R4, R7, R7 and R8, left and right lines are not the same!).
* Match the negative pulse resistors (R1 and R5)


Well, it's easy to say afterwards.. Anyway, lately I added a signal diode and a capacitor to both of the advance lines simply to smooth and balance even more. I also changed the thermistors to more accurate ones (AVX). Have to test ride my cx when possible to see is there any difference. Hardly much but now I think FBG47 is in the final form..





14 kommenttia:

  1. According to my experience, the FinnBox47 is clearly better than the original!

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thanks Oma Aika. Would you like to test ride the revised version of FBG47 when spring comes? I guess you will ride more than me so the second opinion would be highly appreciated!

      Poista
  2. Good circuit,congratulations. 470 omh thermistor I suppose, what is the value of R1,R2,R3,R4,R5,R6,R7,R8 and R9? Thank you

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Hmm.. :) Originally I had 470 ohm thermistors but not anymore. The B value of the thermistors influence to the result. Those resistor values can be calculated and tested finally. That's the work you need to do in order to get cdi work properly.

      Poista
  3. Hi,

    I was looking for a CDI-unit replacement for my old bike and I've read about your awesome Finnbox.
    Is there a way to buy one for an italian CX 500?
    Thanks in advance, anyway and congratulations for your work.
    Best regards

    Francesco

    VastaaPoista
  4. Hi,

    I was looking for a CDI-unit replacement for my old bike and I've read about your awesome Finnbox.
    Is there a way to buy one for an CX 500?

    you can contakt me on mail honda750four@telia.com

    best regards martin from sweden

    VastaaPoista
  5. I also have an old CX500 (1980). Anotherone I have for spare parts, but on both CDI unit is broken. I found Your nice written blog and I want to make Your FBG47. I am interested if You can send me electrical schema and files for a printed circuit board. It will help me very much. Best regards, Iztok Medved, e-mail: iztok.medved@siol.net

    VastaaPoista
  6. New spark plugs, new coils and still no spark... Could i purchase a FBG47 please

    VastaaPoista
  7. English - Can you sell a complete FBG47 shipped to USA? If not, can you sell schematic and printed board?
    79hondacx500@gmail.com

    VastaaPoista
  8. Hello, i would like to buy it, how is it possible?

    VastaaPoista